Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Halo 3 Frag Grenade Papercraft

Here is my first foray into Halo papercraft: a Halo 3 frag grenade. According to the Halo 3 Official Guide from Microsoft:
"Frag grenades are ideal to kill or disrupt large groups of low-ranking infantry (Grunts and Jackals especially), to blast an advancing horde of Combat Forms and Infection Forms, or to distract enemies as you beat a hasty retreat to cover..."
This papercraft is based on an actual 3D model from the Halo 3 video game, but I modified a couple of things to make it more reasonable as a paper model. First, I scaled the model way down to make it fit the size of an average person. The height of the finished model is 6" (15 cm) while the original 3D model size was around 8" (20 cm). Second, I lightened up the textures on the grenade because I found the original textures printed too dark and became indistinct. I may do more Halo papercraft in the future, but I have several other works in progress I want to get done first. The template for the frag grenade may be downloaded here.